The team at Sydney Spine and Pelvis Physio are highly skilled in the assessment of rib pain and thoracic dysfunction, and are at the forefront of evidence based management strategies.
Thoracic or rib pain can result from a number of causes including -
- Direct trauma
- Rib stress fractures
- Postural dysfunction
- Poor shoulder mechanics or associated shoulder injuries
- Post abdominal or breast surgery
- Degenerative arthritis of the thoracic spine and associated joints
- Kyphotic postural changes with age
- Disc injury or degeneration to the thoracic spine
- Costo - cartilage injuries
- Thoracic pain associated with long term low back pain and/or neck pain.
- Thoracic strain following postural changes with pregnancy
- Post partum pain with breastfeeding or carrying.
All of our physios are highly trained to offer a comprehensive assessment of the entire rib and thoracic cage, as well as other areas such as the neck or shoulder that may be underlying, or contribute to thoracic dysfunction. Our management aims to restore both movement and stability to the thoracic cage, and incorporates manual therapy techniques to ease pain, stiffness and improve mobility plus the latest muscle control and rehabilitation strategies.